We Opt To Adopt

We Opt To Adopt

Friday, September 27, 2013

Part 2: Cautiously Optimistic

The day after C's due date was Ron's birthday. Ron decided that for his birthday he wanted to feel youthful and go to 2xtreme Arena, which is a trampoline arena. I was so excited that he wanted to go there because I LOVE trampolines so much. If our backyard was big enough we would have one. Ron was not liking the idea of turning 29, as it is way to close to 30. We should've known that 'trying to feel young' would be a recipe for disaster. Our time slot to jump was for 1 hour, which doesn't seem like that long but it was plenty of time. Less than 5 minutes had passed by and we were already tired and needing a break. Talk about feeling old! We had a lot of fun jumping from trampoline to trampoline, bouncing up onto the trampolines that are at an incline against the wall, and flipping into the foam pit. About halfway through our time there my back was starting to feel sore but I wasn't about to stop jumping. We paid for an hour so I would jump for an hour, and I did. Afterwards we were starving so we headed across town to our favorite sushi place for Ron's birthday lunch. At that point my back pain had increased and was really stiff. I was looking forward to going to work the following day so the physical therapists could fix me. Oh the joys of working at a physical therapy office. By the time we had finished lunch I could hardly get out of my chair to leave and could only walk a few steps at a time. I was headed downhill fast. When we got home Ron tricked me into taking a Norco for the pain, but all it did was make me dizzy and cause ringing in my ears. Within a couple hours I couldn't walk anymore.  Every time I tried to stand my back would spasm and all I could do was fall back down to the bed and cry from the pain. I couldn't even tolerate Ron carrying me. All I could do was crawl. It was pathetic. I was thankful that I had vacuumed and mopped the floors the day before, especially the bathroom floor. I had officially ruined Ron's birthday and felt awful about it. Ron wanted to take me to urgent care or the emergency room but I refused. I said I wanted to see how I felt in 24 hours and I would make a decision then. I had convinced myself that I would be much better in the morning. I had to be better because I was supposed to take C to a doctor appointment that morning and because I was going to be a mom soon. C's doctor would most likely be setting a date to induce her since she was now 2 days past her due date.

The morning came and amazingly I could stand. With Ron's help I was able to slowly walk from the bed to the bathroom. As I stood back up and got ready to head back to bed my vision started to go black. Next thing I remember is hearing Ron's voice but not being able to answer. More time passed and I realized somehow I was back in bed and Ron was screaming at me to wake up. I had passed out. Ron caught me as I collapsed and dragged me back to bed. Evidently when I collapsed I started convulsing and stopped breathing. Ron says he was seconds away from breaking my ribs. He had just learned in his CPR class that effective chest compressions result in broken ribs. I stopped being stubborn and off to the ER we went. Being a Community Hospital employee paid off and I didn't have to wait at all to be seen. An x-ray of my spine came back normal. I was given some meds to see if that would take the edge off my pain and it did just enough to be able to walk again. I was sent home with the "magical" pain medicine that gave me the ability to walk again and was told to rest for a week. Never again will I take for granted being able to walk!

While all of my drama was going on, C was supposed to be going to her doctor appointment with a social worker from the adoption agency. But once again she had some lame excuse as to why she couldn't attend her appointment and said she would reschedule it for the following day. We didn't have the energy to stress about why she was doing this. At this point we were almost relieved that she hadn't gone into labor and that she wouldn't be induced at least for one more day. We needed at least one day to kind of regroup from everything that had happened in the last 24 hours.

The following day the adoption agency wasn't able to get into contact with C because she wasn't answering her phone. We had no idea if she had gone to the doctor or if she had flaked once again. I also attempted to make contact with her but she didn't respond. That evening she sent me a text that said, "I'm at the hospital. I have no service and my phone is almost dead. Sorry." At this point my mind is running wild. How long has she been at the hospital? How far along is she? Is she going to want us there like she had planned? Has she given birth? Why didn't she contact us sooner? Is she going to change her mind? I contacted the agency so they could figure out what was going on. Within 30 minutes we had an update on C. She was in labor, 8 cm along, and wavering on her decision to give up the baby for adoption.

I don't even want to try and describe how we were feeling, so I won't. All we could do was pray for a miracle. Pray that she would remember why she had decided to make an adoption plan. Pray that if God's plan for us was to be parents to this little boy that everything would fall into place. On 8/21/13 she delivered a healthy baby boy. A baby that we had been praying for. A baby that we would never hold or see. The following afternoon she decided that she wanted to keep him...

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment